Receiving a heartfelt and thought-out birthday card can be more impactful than even the most precious gift, but writing a card for that special someone is easier said than done. Whether you’re writing for a hilarious best friend or serious grandparent, there are ways to make your greeting unique and meaningful. Write a sincere note, include a pithy or playful quote, or use a birthday pun. Don’t forget to take time to personalize your message with inside jokes, cherished memories, and gratitude for the recipient’s unique traits.
Write a Heartfelt Message
No matter whose birthday you’re celebrating, you can’t go wrong with a simple and heartfelt note to express your love and gratitude.
Birthday Wishes for a Friend
It can be tricky to put into words how much you value and appreciate your friends. Try out a few of these birthday wishes:
- I feel so lucky to have you as my friend. Hope your birthday is as special as you are.May all of your dreams come true. Thanks for being such a great friend. Happy birthday!
- I wish you love, hope and everlasting joy and happiness. Thank you for being my best friend!
- Happy birthday to one of my best friends. Here’s to another year of laughing at our own jokes and keeping each other sane! Love you and happy birthday!
- Words alone are not enough to express how happy I am you are celebrating another year of your life! My wish for you on your birthday is that you are, and will always be, happy and healthy. Don’t ever change!
- I can’t believe how lucky I am to have found a friend like you. You make every day of my life so special. It’s my goal to make sure your birthday is one of the most special days ever. I can’t wait to celebrate with you!
Don’t like any of these? Find the rest of this list here.
Birthday Wishes for a Family Member
Even if you talk your mom, dad, brother, or sister every day, they still deserve a special message on their birthday. Let them know how much you love them with these messages.
- Hoping life is always good…for a _______ who will always be special.
- Wishing a wonderful ________ a wonderful birthday.
- Mom/Dad, thanks for always being the backbone of our family and supporting us through good times and bad. We all love you. Happy birthday!
- With you by my side, I know that I am capable of anything. Thank you for always making me feel invincible, Mom/Dad. I hope your birthday is as wonderful as you are.
- No matter where I go in life, I will always hold you in my heart. I am thinking of you on your big day, and I am sending the warmest wishes and the happiest thoughts your way. Happy birthday!
- Even if we weren’t family…you’d still be one of my favorite people ever.
For a more comprehensive list of ideas for parents, children and siblings, click here.
Birthday Wishes for a Significant Other
- Happy birthday! You are the most special person in my life. No one else can come close to making me feel as good as you do. May your special day bring you happiness and lots of sweet memories!
- Words alone are not enough to express my feelings. I look forward to sharing this next year of your life with you. Wishing you a very very happy birthday dear!
- On your birthday I want you to know that my best times in life have been with you and my worst times made all the better by your presence. Thank you for always staying by my side.
- I feel so blessed to have you to call my own. You are the best thing that happened to me. I love occasions like these because they make my love for you grow stronger. Happy birthday!
- Birthday greetings to the joy and the love of my life! Wishing you the most amazing and unforgettable special day!
- Wishing happy birthday to the person who makes my life better every day of the year. Today, you deserve all the love to come back to you. Thank you for being part of my life.
Pick a Birthday Quote
Cheeky or serious, a hand-picked quote always does the trick. Here are a few ideas for your birthday message.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.Albert Einstein
It takes a long time to grow young.Pablo Picasso
Whatever with the past has gone, the best is always yet to come.Lucy Larcom
Today you are You,
That is truer than true
There is no one alive
Who is Youer than You.Dr. Seuss
Men are like wine: some turn into vinegar, but the best improve with age.Pope John XXIII
The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.Lucille Ball
You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime.John P. Grier
Need more ideas? Check out this list of famous birthday quotes.
Pick a Witty Birthday Pun
Get a laugh out of the birthday boy or girl with a cheesy joke — works every time! Here are a few to get you started (or, even better come up with your own).
- Be careful, too many birthdays can kill you!
- Forget about the past, you can’t change it. Forget about the future, you can’t predict it. Forget about the present, I didn’t get you one.
- You’re not 50 years old, you are 20 years old with 30 years of experience!
- You did a grape job raisin me. Happy birthday!
- I hope the only things that blow are candles and balloons. Have a great birthday!
- This whole birthday thing is getting old, don’t you think?
- Being related to me is the best birthday gift you could receive.
- You make life so fun-fetti.
Find the rest of this list here.
Get more ideas like these with a quick Google search for birthday puns.
Looking for something more than a written note?